JR KYUSHU TRAINS
Nichinan Line's resort express will enable you to enjoy the rich natural surroundings of Miyazaki, the land of myth
This is a popular sightseeing train where you can enjoy the beauty of Miyazaki's coast and mountains. Coastal views quickly change into deep-green mountains. As the name of the train suggests, you can enjoy a wide variety of views from the window of this train. Local obisugi (cedar) wood is used for both the interior and exterior of the train and creates the ambience of a resort
One of the best parts of a train journey is that you can enjoy more personal space while traveling. Sofa seats are available in both Umisachi and Yamasachi cars. Spend some relaxing time in conversation with your fellow travelers
All reclining seats require a reservation. Sit back and enjoy views of the southern countryside.
The interior of Kyushu Shinkansen and D&S Train will be covered on Google Street View.
- A view of Devil’s Washboard from the train window
- Between Aoshima Island and Kinchaku Island to the south, you will see a 8km-long beach with wave-like rocks called the “Devil’s Washboard.” The coastal soil has been washed by ocean wave for such a long period of time that only the layers of the hard sandstone bed remain. They resemble a giant washboard beach and people are able walk on it when the tide is low.
- On-board picture story show
- Cabin attendants will provide a picture story board on the "Umisachi-Yamasachi Legend."
- Commemorative ticket
- All passengers will receive this ticket. It is also has space for a stamp that will help you memorialize your trip.
- Obi Castle Remains
- Obi Castle was said to be built during the period when China was divided between the Northern and Southern Dynasties. The front castle gate was restored in 1978 and is the only remaining building. This place is also known as a great cherry blossom viewing spot in spring.
- Subtropical Crop Research Institute / Botanical Garden
- This is a subtropical botanical garden is located adjacent to the “Michinoeki Nango” roadside station. You will be able to see a wide variety of rare flowers and fruits in a huge glass-covered greenhouse.
- Gallery Kodama
- Enjoy a relaxing time at this gallery building, a restored merchant house from the Meiji period.
- Char-broiled Pole-and-line-caught Nichinan Skipjack
- Nichinan has the highest yield of skipjack caught by pole-and-line method. This dish has become very popular locally since it was first introduced in May 2010, and is now attracting visitors from all around Japan. Skipjack tuna is normally consumed raw or lightly roasted. Char-broiled is a totally new way. Enjoy the special dish that you can find only here in Nichinan area.
Stops & Timetable
1 round trip a day
As of January 2017
●The Limited Express "Umisachi-Yamasachi" in operation