JR KYUSHU TRAINS
Due to the impact of the earthquake that occurred in Kumamoto, train operation between Kumamoto station and Miyaji station is halted. Aso Boy! will be operating as an extra train between Hakata station and Mojiko station until June.Please click here for details.(As of January 25, 2017)
Limited Express Aso Boy!
Let' s go see the Aso caldera! The train will take you there as you play with "Kuro"
The train mascot • Kuro- will welcome you. You will enjoy a spectacular view of Aso from the panorama seating at the both ends of the train. In Car-3 you will find seating for families as well as a cafe and children's playroom.
This is a common area where passengers can relax on a spacious sofa or sit on a bench that faces the window so as to enjoy the view.
Panorama Section (Car-1, Car-4)
Passengers will enjoy a spectacular view of Aso through the wide front windows. The 1 x 2 seat configuration provides for spacious comfortable seating.
White "Kuro" seat
This is a unique seat for an adult and a child sitting together. The child seat is always on the window
A variety of snacks and original goods are available for purchase while on the train. A low counter for children is also available.
Children can play on the floor.
Children can play in a pool filled with wooden balls.
This is a collection of picture books. You can also find the original Kuro picture books.
Seats are covered with a colorful fabric.
The interior of Kyushu Shinkansen and D&S Train will be covered on Google Street View.
- A cabin attendant and young passengers
- A cabin attendant is always by the Wood-filled Pool to watch and play with children.
- A view from the Panorama Section
- In addition to views of Aso, if you are interested in seeing the switchbacks from Seta to Tateno and Akamizu, a panorama seat is perfect.
- Memory Card
- All passengers will receive this card. It is also has space for a stamp that will help you memorialize your trip.
The train is decorated with Kuro illustrations both inside and outside. There is Kuro in 101 different poses on the exterior of the train.
On-board souvenirs/bento lunch boxes
This bento lunch box is filled with ingredients from the Aso region including Aka Ushi Beef and Aso-grown rice.
*Kuro’s Asomoko Bento lunch box is not available on No. 101 between Kumamoto and Tateno.
- Custard Pudding for Adults/Kids
- The Custard Pudding for Kids is only available on board. Please enjoy with your child.
(Right) Aso Kid Pudding 330 yen (tax included)
(Left) Aso Adult Pudding 330 yen (tax included)
A variety of Kuro goods are available for purchase at the “Kuro Cafe” in Car-3. Besides above, there are still some other goods.
1. Clear Folder 260 yen (tax included) 2. Can Badge 360 yen (tax included) 3. Pin 410 yen (tax included), Pin w/Swarovski 520 yen (tax included) 4. Terry Cloth Handkerchief 410 yen (tax included) 5. Kuro Postcard 410 yen (tax included) 6. Coffee Mug Large/Small 1,340 yen (tax included) 7. Cell Phone Strap 820 yen (tax included)
※This train to Aso Area is currently suspended.
- Nakadake Volcanic Vent
- This is one of the must-see sites in Aso. Feel the power of the earth. Nakadake is fully active volcanic vent. You can get close to the smoking vent. A tour with an experienced and knowledgeable guide is recommended.
*The volcanic vent area may not be accessible depending on volcanic activity alert level and weather.
- Aso Torimiya
- “Baroquette” is a croquette made with a salty-sweet horsemeat center.
- Stationmaster Kuro’s Office
- Kuro welcomes you at the Aso Station. Feel free to come in the office. Kuro’s panel is available here for photos.
Due to the impact of the earthquake that occurred in Kumamoto, train operation between Kumamoto station and Miyaji station is halted. Aso Boy! will be operating as an extra train between Hakata station and Mojiko station until June.(As of January 25, 2017)
Stops & Timetable
1 round trips a day
As of March 2017
●The Limited Express “Aso Boy!” in operation