JR KYUSHU TRAINS
Isaburo / Shinpei
Enjoy one of the best views from a train window with sights that include loop lines and switchbacks
This train operates between Kumamoto-Hitoyoshi and Yoshimatsu (Kagoshima). The train bound for Yoshimatsu is named "Isaburo" and the train bound for Kumamoto-Hitoyoshi is named "Shinpei." These train names are of two individuals who dedicated their lives to railroad development during the Meiji period.
Passengers will enjoy great views of the Kirishima Mountains and of the Sakurajima Volcano from the large train windows.
wooden interior makes for a warm inviting atmosphere.
Enjoy breathtaking scenery through the wide panoramic windows and the refreshing feeling when passing through green "tunnels."
The interior of Kyushu Shinkansen and D&S Train will be covered on Google Street View.
- Panoramic view
- On clear days, you will see the splendor of the Kirishima Mountains across Ebino Basin. This rail route has been selected as one of Japan’s top three for extraordinary views.
- Photo services
- How about a photo holding the special panel? Cabin attendants will help you memorialize your trip. Please feel free to contact your cabin attendant.
- Commemorative ticket
- All passengers will receive this ticket. It is also has space for a stamp that will help you memorialize your trip.
- Loop Line & Switchback
- This is the only switchback within a loop line in Japan and can be seen near Okoba Station.
You can witness the train making a loop and switchback in order to climb a steep slope.
- Masaki Station
- Masaki Station is the only station of Hisatsu Line that is located in Miyazaki Prefecture. You will see this classical wooden station building during the train switchback. There is also a small rock garden. The bell used in actual operations before the privatization of the Japanese National Railways is a popular ornament among travelers and is thought to bring happiness.
- Okoba Station
- Only switchback station in Japan located on a loop line. There is a myth that you will be promoted if you leave your business card on the wall here.
- Steam locomotive on display at Yatake Station
- Meet the majestic D51 steam locomotive.
Stops & Timetable
2 round trips a day / Daily operation
As of February 2017
*Configuration of Isaburo/Shinpei may vary depending on the operation date.